Did you know that there are serious implications to mold exposure? For instance, if you own several apartment units and are hoping to rent these out to potential tenants, you are responsible for ensuring proper living conditions for the tenants. That includes checking the units for mold contamination and getting rid of molds at the first sign. If a tenant gets sick due to mold exposure, something which the landlord failed to address properly, then the tenant can sue the landlord. The same goes for a home seller and a buyer, as well as an employer and an employee. Legal actions may be taken if anyone is found guilty of neglect, and that could be ugly.
If you check out https://cleanwaterpartners.org you’ll see the various legal implications of mold contamination. It also gives proven tips on how to get rid of molds in the house and explains the differences between various types of molds.
Now if you have molds in your home, you’ve probably tried using bleach to get rid of such. After all, the common household bleach is mainly used for cleaning, disinfecting, and sterilizing because of its strong bactericidal properties. However, as touched in the abovementioned website, the use of bleach in killing molds is subject to many questions because it is not a biocide approved by the Environmental Protection Agency or EPA.
Here are some of the reasons why mold remediation bleach is not recommended as a fungicide:
- There is no doubt that bleach is effective against bacteria and viruses, but there is no absolute proof that it is effective against mold spores. Remember, the main objective of mold remediation is to kill the mold at its “roots”, or “hyphae”. Failure to kill the hyphae, as well as the spores, will only cause these toxigenic fungi to grow back after a few days.
- Another reason why mold remediation bleach is not recommended as a fungicide is because it evaporates rapidly. The strong fume of bleach can greatly affect the air quality inside the house. This, in turn, can cause potential lung problems to the members of the family especially babies and small children, seniors, and immunocompromised individuals.
- Mold remediation bleach is a water-based solution that is actually made up of 99 percentwater. Moisture, which is the main ingredient for mold growth, is simply water diffused as a vapor. If the water component of bleach penetrates the surface, then it will give moisture to the mold roots. If not dried properly, this can further release mold spores into the air; thus, aggravating the problem.
- The use of chlorine bleach is opposed by some environmentalists because of its negative effects on the environment, especially when mixed with other chemicals. When mixed with acids, for example, it reacts to form chlorine gas; when mixed with ammonia, it reacts to form chloramines gas. Both these by-products are toxic to the atmosphere and the air we breathe.
The use of mold remediation bleach as a fungicide still needs further studies. There are opposing views and opinions on the use of bleach. So for now, it’s probably better to use a product that is specifically formulated to kill molds effectively and permanently.